Sunday 29 April 2018

Reasons to vote for Labour candidate for Wanstead Village Paul Donovan on 3 May

A Wanstead resident all my life, I attended Aldersbrook and Wanstead High Schools, before going on to Kent University where I attained my degree in law and industrial relations.
After graduation I worked in banking prior to moving into journalism. I have worked as a journalist for the past 25 years, winning a number of awards for my work.
I am a parishioner at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church where I have been actively involved in justice and peace work and been a member of the Parish Council. I have also played a prominent role with the social justice work of the Church at a national and international level. I was also part of the multi-faith Peace and Justice in East London group, set up post 9/11 to promote peace.
I played a role in keeping Wanstead Police Station open – when it was previously under threat – after being mugged on Christchurch Green.
A committed environmentalist, I have played a role in building up the community based support groups for Wanstead Park. I am also a member of the Wren Group, Friends of Wanstead Park and an allotment holder. I helped to organise the Snaresbrook Seeds initiative in 2014 which saw tree pits in the area seeded with wild flowers. I am now trying to take this idea forward on a bigger scale with the Wild Wanstead campaign.
Now, I feel, is the time to put myself foward as a Council candidate. The Labour Council can boast a proud record over its past four years, despite the pressure coming as a result of 40% cuts in the budget from the Tory Government.
Not only has the Labour Council managed to defend and build on basic facilities, like the libraries and waste collection, but it is commmited to building a swimming pool in Wanstead. The step free access coming soon for Snaresbrook station is another important achievement.
Most recently I have been involved with fellow Labour candidates in the campaign to restore a full service to the W12 bus route. We are also backing the 20s Plenty speed reduction campaign. As well as this I am keen to play a part in pushing forward with Labour’s proposals on increasing recycling and cutting pollution.
As a lifelong Wanstead resident, I am acutely aware that this end of the borough can sometimes get forgotten. If elected, I will seek to ensure that our community is heard at the top table in the Town Hall. I want to stand up for Wanstead and be part of the exciting future for the area under Labour.

No comments:

Post a Comment